Extending Your Home

Local Authorities do not have to give grants to extend a house unless it is to provide bathroom or toilet facilities if this cannot be provided within the current framework of the building. If an extension to your home does not attract mandatory grant - for example where this is for a ground-floor bedroom - councils can decide to give a "discretionary grant". Your council can choose how it calculates any discretionary grant it offers so it may very well only cover a small percentage of the total cost of the works.

Video transcript:


Share this